Trinidad Express / Disaster has struck a Claxton Bay family who lost their home by fire in the early hours of Monday morning.
The family of eight of Southern Main Road, Pranz Gardens were asleep when the fire broke out, destroying their two-storey concrete and wooden structure.
Alexis Jagdeo, 18, was the first to notice the fire and alerted the rest of her family.
She said the incident occurred around 3 a.m.
Speaking to the Express, Jagdeo recounted the event.
“I was the first to wake up. The fire was already in my room. My room is in the back of the house. I went to sleep after 1 a.m. and I started feeling this heat. When I woke up there was fire, everything was on fire, the sheets was on fire and I run out and woke up everybody,” she said.
Jagdeo suffered minor burns to her feet as she attempted to escape the flames.
Member of Parliament for Pointe-a-Pierre David Lee visited the family with members of the Disaster Unit from the Couva/Tabaquite/TalparoRegional Corporation and hampers were distributed to the family.
Anyone willing to assist the family can contact the MPs office.