Jamaica Gleaner / Defending champions Jamaica College (JC) turned in a classy second half performance to defeat Bridgeport High 2-0 in their opening match of the quarterfinal round of the ISSA-FLOW Manning Cup competition at the Stadium East field yesterday.

Shaniel Thomas, in the 49th minute, and Malique Howell, 60th, were the scorers for the Miguel Coley-coached JC. The victory was the Hope Road-based school’s first win over Bridgeport in three attempts this season.

In the second game of the group, high-flying Kingston College were held to a 1-1 draw by Calabar High.

Coley said he was happy they got the three points because this is very crucial in his team’s quest to advance to the semi-finals of the competition.

“This is first game in a second round where you have four good teams. You have to get the three points and we are happy that we were able to score two goals, and at the same time, keep a clean sheet,” said Coley.

“Mentally, we are getting better and we are getting much stronger, and I believe that as the season goes on, we are going to get even better,” Coley said.

Meanwhile, coach of Bridgeport, Jason Grant, said he was very disappointed with the result.

“It was an end-to-end game, but we got a little flat and JC capitalised on that by scoring two goals,” Grant said.

“However, we are still not out of it yet. The guys lost their discipline and concentration and we just have to look at that before the next game,” Grant noted.


Dangerous cross  

Thomas gave JC the lead when he arrived at the near post to fire home a dangerous right-side cross from Tyreke Magee, past goalkeeper Kaswayne Stanbury. Howell doubled JC’s lead 11 minutes later, when he collected a pass from Tevin Rochester to slam past Standbury.

Meanwhile, in the other group, St Andrew Technical High School (STATHS) and St Catherine High played to a 1-1 scoreline at the Constant Sports Complex.

Both goals were scored in the first half. Devaun Taylor gave St Catherine the lead in the second minute, but an own goal in the 32nd minute gave STATHS a share of the points.

In the second game of the double-header, former champions St George’s College and top seeds Holy Trinity drew also 1-1.


View all posts