Trinidad Express / A MAN who said he was wrongfully arrested, falsely imprisoned and maliciously prosecuted after the police agreed to give him a lift won his case before the court.

The police claimed Dexter Williams had slammed a police vehicle door. He was charged him with disorderly behaviour.

Justice James Aboud delivered the judgement in Williams’s favour on Monday before the Port of Spain High Court.

In court documents filed by attorney Shastri Parsad, Williams said he and his friend were trying to reach their New Grant homes around 11.30 p.m. on May 18 2012. After failing to get a taxi, they decided to walk. They saw a marked police vehicle which stopped. The officers asked the reason for them walking at that time of the night and they said they were heading home.

It was stated that, “In desperation, the Claimant asked the officers if they would be kind enough to give him a lift as they were both headed in the same direction.” One of the officers said yes and told him to come into the vehicle. Williams was shocked and hesitated.

After several of the officers’ beckonings, he approached the vehicle. It was stated that the officer exited the pick up, opened the trunk of the tray and pointed to a quantity of marijuana trees and told Williams that they were his.

The document stated, “The claimant being afraid that if he refused to enter the said vehicle that he would be charged for resisting arrest acquiesced to PC Nanan’s forceful offer.” He said he was made to sit in the tray of the vehicle with the marijuana. He was handcuffed by his wrist to a rail of the tray.

It was said that there were no seatbelts or safely restrains in the tray of the vehicle and he was not provided with equipment to ensure his safety.

The officers continued their patrol and twice passed Williams’s home. An hour and a half to two hours later, Williams was taken to the Princes Town police station. He said he was held “in a filthy holding cell littered with food, garbage, no lighting and which reeked of faeces.” At about 3 a.m. while his fingerprints were being taken and after he pleaded not to be charged with possession of marijuana as it was not his, he was told he was being held in connection with behaving in a disorderly manner along the Naparima/Mayaro Road, Princes Town. He was later charged with the offence and at 11.30 a.m. he was released on station bail. He had spent about 12 hours in custody.

The matter was heard six times before the Princes Town court. At the end of the trail in December 2013, it was dismissed.

NOTE: In Thursday’s edition of the Trinidad Express yo can read the police version of events, which the judge dismissed


View all posts