Trinidad Express / Parents of pupils attending a primary school in south Trinidad are threatening to shut down classes should the Education Ministry reinstate a male teacher accused of molesting a child.
The alleged incident occurred two years ago, parents said, but the matter was dismissed and the teacher cleared of any wrongdoing. But the parents are not satisfied.
The parents staged a protest at outside the school on Monday, calling for a meeting with Education Minister Anthony Garcia.
Placards were posted on the school fence warning that pupils will not be attending classes as long as the teacher was on the compound.
A parent said, “Last week we were told that the matter was dismissed and the teacher would be reinstated on Wednesday. We are not accepting this. We will protest every morning. And on Wednesday when he walks in we will take out children out.”
A letter was sent to the Education Minister on Monday.
The parent said, “We are demanding a meeting with the Minister to discuss our concerns. As parents we have a right to protect our children.” An official at the ministry said he was not aware of the matter but assured that it would be investigated.