Trinidad Express / Seven months after the battered body of 16-year-old Jesse Beephan was found in a drain behind his school, the boy’s parents are still waiting for closure.

His father, Shakar Beephan, believes police have closed his son’s case but says he will not give up.

The father of two has turned to Education Minister Anthony Garcia for help.

Beephan was expected to meet Garcia last evening to discuss his concerns.

“I don’t know what to do again. The police have crucial information on my son’s death and are doing nothing about it. I believe if I was an important person they would have helped me. I requested a meeting with the Education Minister because my son was a student and it happened near the school. I am hoping he would help me,” he said.

He is also calling on National Security Minister Edmund Dillon to intervene.

The teenager was reported missing on March 20. Police were told that Beephan was seen getting into a taxi at St Mary’s Junction, Freeport, that evening.

Three days later, his body was discovered in a drain behind the Waterloo Secondary School, Carapichaima. His head was bashed in.

Police interviewed several people, including school children but no one was charged with the teen’s murder.

His father, however, launched his own investigation.

He found out that a schoolboy was seen carrying what is believed to be the “murder weapon”, a metal car part, in his school bag all week.

“We gave the police all the information we had. Children spoke with us and told us everything. I believe school officials are also withholding information. I have nothing to hide. Even when my son went missing, it was school children who told us he was behind the school. I took my workers and got the Anti-Kidnapping Unit officers to come with us and we found him. So how could the children know where he was?” he said.


Wrong friends


Beephan said investigators have stopped calling and no one was ever held.

“If it is school children who did this to my son and you not holding them well you just encouraging them to do it again. The police have sufficient evidence. Why are they refusing to act? Are they protecting someone?” he said.

Beephan said his son never travelled home by taxi. He said Jesse would always wait for his younger sister, who attended the same school.

Beephan said his two children would wait near the school gate for their mother, Sharon Bickaroo, who would pick them up.

Jesse was a Form Four Modern Studies pupil and lived at Roystonia, Couva.

“When my wife got there she could not find Jesse. My daughter said she had not seen him. My wife immediately knew something was wrong. She asked around and a boy said Jesse was seen getting into a taxi in St Mary’s. We knew that was not true because he would not travel home. We made a report and began looking from then,” he recalled.

Beephan said his family was shattered by the teen’s death. “My daughter didn’t want to go back to school. I don’t feel like working anymore. Life has been really difficult these past months. And I am hoping we get some kind of closure,” he said.

Beephan said his son was not a “bad boy” but was liming with the wrong friends. “He was doing well at school and had so much going for him but he chose to spend his time with the wrong friends,” he said.

The Express contacted homicide officers who did not reveal details of the case. An officer said the case was not closed and investigations were continuing.


View all posts