Jamaica Gleaner / National Security Minister Robert Montague has softened his position on the refusal of bail for persons charged with gun-related crimes.
There has been significant outcry since Montague made the suggestion a few weeks ago and this afternoon, he said he has reviewed his stance.
“Let us say no bail for firearms and murders for the next five years until we treat with this situation that is before us,” said Montague.?
He was speaking at a graduation ceremony of the Caribbean Regional Drug Law Enforcement Training Centre.
Between January 1 and December 6, 1,508 people have been murdered, a 22 per cent increase over the corresponding period last year.?
Meanwhile, Montague wants a person charged with murder and gun-related crimes ?to serve the sentences one after the other rather than at the same time.
“If you’re caught with three firearms, why are you being treated as a man caught with one?” Montague questioned.
“I would like it to be that when you’re finished with the first charge after 10, 15 years, you begin the second charge and then when you’re finished with that one, you start the third one for the bullets,” he said.