Jamaica Gleaner / In 2015, then Minister of Health Dr Fenton Ferguson, in response to several concerns raised about the status of public-health facilities, ordered an internal audit in the four regional health authorities to “determine safety and functionality of the systems”. Two years later, The Gleaner has sought to find out what has been done to address the myriad problems uncovered by the audit. These are some of the findings from the South East Regional Health Authority (SERHA).
Several public hospitals in the Corporate Area and St Catherine are reporting a significant improvement in their infection control systems that were found deficient by a Ministry of Health audit two years ago.
A recent report prepared for The Sunday Gleaner by the South East Regional Health Authority points to improvements in high-risk clinical service delivery areas across several institutions.
These include the Bustamante Hospital for Children (BHC), Kingston Public Hospital (KPH), Victoria Jubilee Hospital (VJH) and the Spanish Town Hospital (STH).
According to SERHA, the corrective measures that have been implemented include:
– Standardisation of the cleaning procedures and the ongoing training of janitorial staff.
– Implementation of a monitoring system to assess infection control practices, including the assignment of responsibility to infection control nurses; and making available to staff copies of the health ministry’s infection prevention and control manual.
– Adherence to Ministry of Health clinical guidelines/standards for commonly seen conditions.
– Establishment of procedures to ensure the immunisation of health workers.
– Repair and/or provision of critical equipment such as sphygmomanometer, stethoscope, resuscitaire (infant warmer), foetal monitors, blood gas machine and transducers.
– Repairs to operating theatre facilities, including the installation of brighter operating lights and new air-conditioning system at the KPH.
The July 2015 audit by SERHA had found inconsistencies in the quality of the cleaning of high-risk clinical service delivery areas, but SERHA says the cleaning procedures and methods are now done in accordance with the Ministry of Health standards.
According to SERHA, current and new janitors are reminded and orientated respectively on cleaning procedures and methods at all its high-risk clinical service delivery areas.
A breach cited by the July 2015 audit report was the resistance of anaesthetists to wearing facial masks in the VJH operating theatre, but SERHA said these health workers are now “in conformance with operating theatre standards”.
The agency also claimed that the shortage of required gear for other medical staff, observed two years ago, has been addressed at the main hospitals in its region.
Regarding the monitoring of the immunisation status of operating theatre staff at KPH and VJH, SERHA said the staff was advised to obtain and submit their immunisation record indicating their health status.
“Systems are now in place for new staff to provide their immunisation to ensure compliance upon employment. This is monitored with the assistance of the infection control nurse and visiting public health nurse,” said SERHA.
But former president of the Nurses Association of Jamaica (NAJ), Janet Coore-Farr, has questioned the adequacy of the complement of infection control personnel across the public-health system.
According to Coore-Farr, the ideal ratio should be one infection control personnel per 125 patients, but this does not obtain.
“The Ministry of Health does not recognise the position of infection control nurse, as it’s not on the civil service establishment,” said Coore-Farr, the immediate past president of the NAJ.
“Generally, not enough has been done to improve the (infection control) system,” added Coore-Farr.
– Coming tomorrow: The maintenance deficiencies which were identified and the checklist on how SERHA has done in the two years since the audit was done.
CARACAS.- La espera terminó y los Rays de Tampa Bay, en teoría, reforzaron la posición que menos le estaba aportando a la ofensiva con el regreso del criollo Wilson Ramos a las mayores. ?Estamos felices por tener a Wilson Ramos con nosotros? , dijo Kevin Cash a MLB.com. ?Me imagino que probablemente tenía algunas inquietudes…
La compraventa de inmuebles como Torre Agbar, Xanadú y el Edificio España aumenta un 70% la inversión en el primer semestre hasta los 6.000 millones de euros. La inversión inmobiliaria vuelve a registrar cifras récord en el mercado español. A falta de apenas cuatro días del cierre del semestre, la compraventa de edificios y solares…
san fernando Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley prayed with members of the Muslim community and distributed zakat (charity) to the needy as he celebrated Eid-ul-Fitr at two masjids in San Fernando yesterday. He attended the Eid services on an invitation from Minister of Local Government Kazim Hosein, who is also referred to as a…
gasparillo The mother of a disabled child was shot dead inside her apartment in Gasparillo yesterday. Ornella Philips, 28, was shot once in the chest. Her body was discovered lying in the living room around 10 a.m. The country’s murder toll now stands at 243. Her eight-year-old daughter, Kayla, has cerebral palsy and depends…
ISTANBUL (AP): Turkish police stopped activists for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex rights from gathering in large numbers for an LGBT Pride event in Istanbul yesterday, but smaller groups made impromptu press statements, defying a ban imposed by the governor. Organisers of the 2017 Istanbul LGBTI+ Pride had vowed to march in central Taksim…
LONDON (AP): The list of high-rise apartment towers in Britain that have failed fire-safety tests grew to 60, officials said yesterday, revealing the mounting challenge the government faces in the aftermath of London’s Grenfell Tower fire tragedy. All of the buildings for which external cladding samples were so far submitted failed combustibility tests, Communities Secretary…
BAHAWALPUR (AP): Alerted by an announcement over a mosque’s loudspeaker that an overturned tanker truck had sprung a leak, scores of villagers raced to the scene with fuel containers yesterday to gather the oil. Then the wreck exploded, engulfing people in flames as they screamed in terror. At least 153 men, women and children were…
WASHINGTON (AP): Making a final push, United States President Donald Trump said he doesn’t think congressional Republicans are “that far off” on a health overhaul to replace “the dead carcass of Obamacare”. Expressing frustration, he complained about “the level of hostility” in government and wondered why both parties can’t work together on the Senate bill…
While reliving the horrors experienced by so many families after another spate of bizarre violence across the country last week, I couldn’t help but picture Tourism Minister Ed Bartlett’s rictus grin plastered on television screens while the elderly and even suckling babes were being gruesomely slaughtered inside their homes. While the rest of us were…
- 28 May, 2018 Golden Trojan Pioneering record label celebrated 50 years
- 28 May, 2018 13 Persons from County of Cornwall Receive G-G Achievement Awards
- 28 May, 2018 Hurdles Masterclass McLeod, Russell on top at Prefontaine Classic
- 28 May, 2018 Collaboration Necessary to Deal with Flooding
- 28 May, 2018 Youth Employment and Digital Animation Project Moved to OPM
- 28 May, 2018 Nathan Ebanks Foundation Expo on May 26
- 28 May, 2018 New US$30-m technology park for St Catherine
- 28 May, 2018 Barbados without Her Majesty’s loyal Opposition
- 28 May, 2018 Magnate Deripaska resigns from Rusal board over US sanctions
- 28 May, 2018 Neymar ‘not yet 100%’ but ready to play for Brazil