Breaking News

Hero’s send-off for fallen Trini UN official

News day / Grimes, 56, passed away while receiving treatment for cancer at a hospital in Johannesburg, South Africa, last month.

Grimes’ body was returned to Trinidad under escort from Staff Sergeant Godfrey Duncan of the International Criminal Court of the UN earlier this month.

President Anthony Carmona during his remarks at Grimes’ funeral commended him for his years of service to the TTPS, his tireless work ethic and selfless execution of justice both at home and abroad.

“Everyone needs to know that in that casket lies the best of us. In order to attain such a posting within the United Nations.

You have to excel in almost every aspect of law enforcement.

You must be guided by a sense of duty and committed to executing justice. He has and always will be the embodiment of an officer and a gentleman.” Newsday also spoke to Grimes’ wife of 31 years, Denise, who recalled her husband’s inspirational story, as a young officer, rising through the ranks of the TTPS and later becoming a senior security official within the UN’s Liberian office in West Africa.

“I remember him as a very sweet, sensitive man. He was very family-oriented and put God and his children before anything.

It’s very difficult because so many people will remember him as a firm, upright lawman but to me he will always be Earn, my husband.” Grimes said that her husband entered the workforce at a relatively young age.

Just after completing his secondary school education he went on to work as a laborer but said he wanted more out of life.

“He was a man who wanted to live life to the fullest and he did not feel that the job was offering him that.

That was when he told me that he was going to join the police service.” She said that he quickly rose through the TTPS, earning the respect and admiration from senior officers for his quick wit and selfless service.

Earning the rank of corporal with the Organised Crime and Narcotics Bureau (OCNB), a division of the TTPS, which was still in its infancy at the time. Grimes said that while the life of a constable was a demanding one, she did her best to be understanding to him.

“Policing was something he was very passionate about. Sometimes when he would go on these raids to destroy marijuana crops I would be so nervous but I knew that his career was something he loved.” Grimes said that while her husband’s duties forced him to remain away from home for months at a time, he remained in close contact with the family and ensured that he was at home for almost every holiday.

“When he became the advisor at the office in Liberia, his responsibilities increased but he always made time for us (family).

He would call sometimed three times a day to ask how we were going and what we were doing. He was serious about his career but when he came home for holidays he never brought his work home with him.” Earn is survived by his two sons, Jonathan, 23, and Jeremy, 20. She says that even while he was away, Earn closely monitored his sons’ progress at school and ensured that they make the full use of their potential.

“He was a devoted father in every sense of the word. He always spoke to them and wanted them to know that he was there for them no matter what.” Newsday also spoke to Grimes’ longtime friend and colleague, Glennon Fonsette who recalled Grimes’ early years as a constable.

“He was a livewire.

He loved life and I remember him as being one of my closest friends in our batch.

At the time all the officers were very close and we always had something good to say. He was my children’s godfather and will be missed dearly.”

About the author / 


Related Posts

North America



Latin America