Trinidad Express / Hanif Nazim Baksh, the ceo of A&V Oil and Gas Ltd, on Wednesday filed a claim for libel against Opposition leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar.
The lawsuit is linked to alleged defamatory statements made in two speeches made by Persad-Bissessar at United National Congress (UNC) meetings on September 10 and September 18.
The claim is also in respect of alleged defamatory statements published on Facebook, YouTube and social media.
Persad-Bissessar had quoted a Petrotrin internal audit, which she said stated Petrotrin has been billed by A&V for oil that was never produced, amounting to some $80 million.
Persad-Bissessar claimed Baksh was a close friend of Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley and also a financier of the People’s National Movement (PNM).
In the pre-action protocol letter dated September 15, Persad-Bissessar was advised that to avoid the commencement of legal proceedings, she has until 4 p.m. on Monday to give to Baksh and A&V in writing “a full and unequivocal retraction and apology in terms to be approved by Baksh and A&V” and such an apology and retraction must be published with the same prominence in which the defamatory words were published.
– Persad-Bissessar must also “give a written undertaking not to publish or re-publish any of the defamatory words or similar defamatory words against Baksh and A&V”.
– A video recording of the UNC’s political meeting must also be removed from the party’s Facebook page, as well as Persad-Bissessar’s speaking note on the issue.
– Persad-Bissessar must also “make an offer to pay to Baksh and A&V as compensation, the pecuniary loss and damage they suffered and continue to suffer as a result of the publication of the defamatory words” and “give a written undertaking to pay to Baksh and A&V the legal costs incurred by them as a result of the publication of the defamatory words”.
However, Persad-Bissessar answered the lawsuit threat, defending her decision to raise the matter in the public domain.
Persad-Bissessar said that as Opposition Leader, she had a duty to raise matters in the public interest and nothing she said was defamatory.
However, A&V Oil and Gas submitted in its lawsuit filed on Wednesday that there was no legal or factual; basis for the defences put forward by Persad-Bissessar.
CARACAS.- La espera terminó y los Rays de Tampa Bay, en teoría, reforzaron la posición que menos le estaba aportando a la ofensiva con el regreso del criollo Wilson Ramos a las mayores. ?Estamos felices por tener a Wilson Ramos con nosotros? , dijo Kevin Cash a MLB.com. ?Me imagino que probablemente tenía algunas inquietudes…
La compraventa de inmuebles como Torre Agbar, Xanadú y el Edificio España aumenta un 70% la inversión en el primer semestre hasta los 6.000 millones de euros. La inversión inmobiliaria vuelve a registrar cifras récord en el mercado español. A falta de apenas cuatro días del cierre del semestre, la compraventa de edificios y solares…
san fernando Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley prayed with members of the Muslim community and distributed zakat (charity) to the needy as he celebrated Eid-ul-Fitr at two masjids in San Fernando yesterday. He attended the Eid services on an invitation from Minister of Local Government Kazim Hosein, who is also referred to as a…
gasparillo The mother of a disabled child was shot dead inside her apartment in Gasparillo yesterday. Ornella Philips, 28, was shot once in the chest. Her body was discovered lying in the living room around 10 a.m. The country’s murder toll now stands at 243. Her eight-year-old daughter, Kayla, has cerebral palsy and depends…
ISTANBUL (AP): Turkish police stopped activists for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex rights from gathering in large numbers for an LGBT Pride event in Istanbul yesterday, but smaller groups made impromptu press statements, defying a ban imposed by the governor. Organisers of the 2017 Istanbul LGBTI+ Pride had vowed to march in central Taksim…
LONDON (AP): The list of high-rise apartment towers in Britain that have failed fire-safety tests grew to 60, officials said yesterday, revealing the mounting challenge the government faces in the aftermath of London’s Grenfell Tower fire tragedy. All of the buildings for which external cladding samples were so far submitted failed combustibility tests, Communities Secretary…
BAHAWALPUR (AP): Alerted by an announcement over a mosque’s loudspeaker that an overturned tanker truck had sprung a leak, scores of villagers raced to the scene with fuel containers yesterday to gather the oil. Then the wreck exploded, engulfing people in flames as they screamed in terror. At least 153 men, women and children were…
WASHINGTON (AP): Making a final push, United States President Donald Trump said he doesn’t think congressional Republicans are “that far off” on a health overhaul to replace “the dead carcass of Obamacare”. Expressing frustration, he complained about “the level of hostility” in government and wondered why both parties can’t work together on the Senate bill…
While reliving the horrors experienced by so many families after another spate of bizarre violence across the country last week, I couldn’t help but picture Tourism Minister Ed Bartlett’s rictus grin plastered on television screens while the elderly and even suckling babes were being gruesomely slaughtered inside their homes. While the rest of us were…
- 19 June, 2018 Change laws to deal with ISIS
- 19 June, 2018 Realign goals to economic reality
- 19 June, 2018 Labour Day marches in Fyzabad and Tobago
- 19 June, 2018 Jordan inspires Courgars NAAA triumph
- 19 June, 2018 Windies escape Sri Lankan scare
- 19 June, 2018 Woman found shot to death in St James
- 19 June, 2018 Composite Index advances by 0.50 points
- 19 June, 2018 Positive rhythms at Yoruba Drum Fest
- 19 June, 2018 Govt faces review from trade unions
- 19 June, 2018 Abdulah canvasses Hinds’ constituency